Monday, November 24, 2008

A New Beginning

after I had my baby boy, i was so tired. it was overwhelming, and all i wanted to do was hold him and see him. it seemed to take forever for them to bring him into the room with us. when they did, i just held him and loved him. he was so tiny!

as i laid there holding him, i tried so hard not to fall asleep, and daniel had already gone to sleep, it had been such a LONG day, and we didn't get much sleep the night before. the medicine they were giving me made my whole body burning hot, and while i was holding my small newborn, i felt his body and he was cold. i laid him against me, trying to warm him up, but i kept falling asleep. i felt so bad.

the nurse came in and i told her how cold he was. she took him into the nursery and put him in that box to warm him up. he ended up having to stay there for 2 days. he also had to have a little bit of oxygen right after he was born. i spent a lot of time in the hospital without him, due to him having to get his body temperature regulated, which is common in preemies. he also had a little bit of jaundice, but it went away on it's on within a week. i have been so lucky with this baby.

i got to see him and hold him every once in a while. i hated not having him with me, but i knew he needed to get warm.

(if anyone is reading...) you might be wondering why i'm not calling him by his name. well, we didn't name him until the day before we left the hospital. daniel had been wanting to call him GianCarlo, and i didn't want that to be his first name. i wanted to name him daniel. i had made the remark that maybe once he saw him, he would change his mind, and he was dead set on that name.
after a couple days of seeing the baby and holding him, daniel changed his mind. we set there for a while, trying to figure out what we were going to name this precious being.

one of the reasons, daniel told me, that he didn't want to name him daniel is because if we have more kids, he wanted to name the youngest boy after him. that's when i told him that we could have 10 more kids and not one of them could be a boy. you just never know.

so we decided to name him:

Daniel GianCarlo

i'm really happy with that name, it fits him. and i wanted to name him after daniel because he is such a good man.

while i was in the hospital, daniel never left my side other than to get me something to eat, or get himself something to eat. he was so great! and nothing has changed. he is the best father and partner i could ever hope for. actually, he's so much more than i could have ever hoped for.

so life has been hectic but wonderful these past 3 and 1/2 months. at first i was so overwhelmed, i didn't know how i would ever do it. but it's become so much easier, and it just came to me. i heard that it would, and it does.

1 comment:

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I know the feeling of not having your baby with you after giving birth. I had to leave my twins in the hospital for a couple of weeks and that was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Daniel GianCarlo is such a nice name. In the beginning the days are hectic, but enjoy each and everyone they go by so fast.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am sure Daniel puts a whole new meaning to Thanksgiving for you. Enjoy your "New Beginning" I will be stopping by again to see how you and Daniel are doing.